September 7, 2012
Dear Family,
This week has gone amazingly! I'm so grateful for that and I know that your prayers on my
behalf have definitely had an influence on this.
I'm so excited to go to the temple today. The Provo Temple is so so pretty! I love its unique design. Its just stunning especially on a bright
sunny day when the temple and the grounds surrounding the temple are just so
vibrantly full of color. It is
beautiful.
Mom, regarding your question about things I, and my
companion, might like to receive in a care package, I know we could use some
sweet pens. I'm not really sure
what other supplies would be nice to have, but anything would be fun. If you choose to send food though,
please don't send a ton. We have
food overload here. But I
definitely do miss homemade goodies and even food. I really miss all the fresh fruits and vegetables we always
had at home. They always have
fruit and salads and other cooked veggies in the cafeteria, but they don't even
come close to comparing to what I'm used to. They are just icky in comparison to the salads and fruit
that my mom spoils me with. Oh!
one thing I need is hair gel. I
needed a haircut this week, but the signups filled up too fast for my
p-day. So now I get to wait 'til
next Friday. So could you send me
that hair gel I pretty much never used?
I didn't think I was going to need it on the mission since I never used
it at home, but I'm realizing that maybe I should have brought that to help
keep the hair lookin' missionary sharp for longer. It isn't a problem yet, but our Branch Presidency has talked
to several Elders in our zone about their need to get haircuts. And mine isn't too far behind theirs so
I wouldn't be surprised if I receive the same haircut counsel. So that hair gel will be really nice
when I'm getting to the point where I'm in need of a haircut but have to wait
'til p-day. Obviously my hair
isn't actually LONG. Nobody has
long hair here in the MTC (other than sister missionaries). I guess it's more of a matter of how
stunningly sharp I need to look.
Hmmm, I guess I haven't really given you a ton of ideas
regarding things to put in that care package. I have just kinda rambled on...oops. I guess anything would be fun
though. Sorry I'm not much
help. If I come up with anything,
I'll let you know...but in reality anything you want to send me would be so
fun! So, I will just wait and be
surprised!
Elder M and I are getting much closer as a
companionship. There are a few
times where he just kinda disappears on me, and that's always weird cuz we are
supposed to stay in sight and sound of each other, but I'm usually able to find
him decently quickly. One time,
while I went back to the mailroom, (the District Leader's companion is supposed
to wait outside the door so it doesn't get too crowded in the mailroom) by the
time I had come out of the mailroom, there was no companion waiting for
me. I assumed he had gone into the
bathroom, so I stood there waiting for about fifteen minutes. When I finally realized that he was not
going to be coming out of the bathroom, due to the fact he wasn't in there, I
decided to go back to our dorm room to look for him there. And that was indeed where I found him. Things like this happen occasionally
and its usually kinda funny to me because while I'm trying to find him, I walk
next to other random companionships so I don't get caught by someone who wants
to know why I'm not with my companion.
So that's always interesting, but I try to turn it into a joke rather
than concern myself over it. After
all, I definitely can understand where he is coming from. I miss being able to just have some Ben
time where I don't have a companion sitting or walking right next to me. And, I especially miss my driving Ben
time. I always got lots of sweet
think time in the car.
Regarding your question, yes, our new roommates are
awesome! They are German speaking
Elders and way nice and super obedient.
We go moved to a new room though today. Now that the new dorms are finished, they are having four
Elders per room rather than six so it's nice having a bit more space.
Oh! I KNOW what
I would like in that package. But
this one is just for me. Could you
send me some family pictures?
Thanks, that would be great.
Maybe even put them in a sweet picture frame that holds several
pictures?
Well, it's about time for me to get ready to go to the
temple. I love you all! Thanks for the letters. I loved them. I love hearing from home. I'm learning lots and doing well. The MTC will be the most personally demanding class/course I
have ever taken, but I can already see it will be one of the most
rewarding. I love you, my
family. Remember when I used to be
able to pick my cell phone up and call or send a quick text home? I miss that. But unlike college life, mission life doesn't have that as
part of the program. But that's
OK. Email, paper and pen, are my
new favorite methods of communication.
Much love from your Missionary,
Elder Ostler
A quick P.S. from your indecisive son: I'm actually having second thoughts
about having goodies/treats sent.
Even though there is a food overload here, I would definitely love some
more delicious treats in my life...
If I'm lucky, I'll be able to work off the MTC 15 in the field. Adios for now! I was trying to be
"smart/healthy" by halfheartedly saying I didn't really need them,
but now I'm not feeling so pleased with that healthy attempt.