This last week has been a super fun one. I think one of the coolest things was getting to go on exchanges with Elder Crane. It was lots of fun taking him around our area for the day. The best part about it was that Elder Ingram and I scheduled all our best and most reliable people for my exchange with Elder Crane (we did this so I wouldn't get stuck not knowing what to do if our appointments started falling through) And it was awesome. We taught 4 lessons that day! And 4 lessons ties a record day for us! It was definitely a different challenge having to take the lead role in our conversations and lessons with people, but it was a cool opportunity to learn by being put into a situation that forced me to rise up. It was pretty neat to see how far I have come in my Spanish! And at the same time, it was cool (in an uncomfortable sort of way at times) to experience exactly what it is that I struggle most in. Yes, there were some tough moments communication wise, but I think it helped me see what I have to work on a little more clearly since I didn't have my trusty trainer Elder Ingram with me to bail me out when I got lost. It was a super fun day though. Elder Crane is a super fun guy and is an awesome missionary! One of the coolest moments during the day happened when we were visiting a less active member of the church. I was having a tough time answering a question about why we believe in the Book of Mormon. Elder Crane, realizing that there might be something in the Introduction to the Book of Mormon that could help me out, opened up to the Introduction and read the first couple of sentences. Then he did what I have done to Elder Ingram so many times before and turned it back over to me to finish up. Holy Cow! I never realized how much pressure that puts on Elder Ingram. ;) But it was funny to realize it more from Elder Ingram's perspective.
So this week, we were supposed to have the mission president and his wife come speak in our ward. On Saturday night when we learned that President's wife, Sis Becerra, wouldn't be able to make it to the Sacrament meeting service, President suggested that Elder Russel and Crane might speak with him in place of his wife. Elder Ingram and I offered to do it in their place though since they had just barely spoken in sacrament meeting 2 weeks ago, and Elder Russel would be singing in Sacrament meeting. We didn't think that they would be happy about having to speak again and we didn't think that Elder Russel would want to sing and speak.
So anyway, as I started thinking about what I could talk about (trying my best not to worry myself with my inadequacies in Spanish) I felt I should find a way to speak on two things: our potential we all have as God's Children, and the importance and power that comes from doing the little things. I didn't exactly know how I would do it, but I felt that this was what I would need to speak about. And so, I began preparing my message.
So anyway, as I started thinking about what I could talk about (trying my best not to worry myself with my inadequacies in Spanish) I felt I should find a way to speak on two things: our potential we all have as God's Children, and the importance and power that comes from doing the little things. I didn't exactly know how I would do it, but I felt that this was what I would need to speak about. And so, I began preparing my message.
But as it turned out, when we told Elder Russel jokingly that we had "saved him from speaking", he was really disappointed. Apparently he really enjoys speaking in sacrament meeting. So, Elder Ingram and I happily turned the speaking responsibility over to him since he wanted to do it anyways. Obviously, I was very relieved that he wanted to speak because this meant that I wouldn't have to stress over how I could get my points across. But I will admit that I was disappointed that all my thinking about a message which I felt would be really good for our ward had been wasted.
But then, I decided to pray that somehow, in someway, Elder Russel, or President would teach those ideas in their messages the next day in church.
And in Sacrament meeting, that is exactly what happened. And it occurred in a much more understandable and eloquent way than I could have ever explained it. President Becerra gave an amazing message with some awesome stories to illustrate the points more clearly. This was a very cool experience for me for two reasons: 1- a prayer of something I felt was important had been and answered, and 2- I had understood it had been answered (even when sacrament meeting was in Spanish). It was awesome to sit and listen for an answer to prayer (even in another language) and then to receive that answer to prayer. And it was amazing to me how much I actually understood from the talks in sacrament meeting. I think I understood about 80% of what was said, which is amazing to me since I have only understood about 40% or less in the past! Woot Woot!
And I think part of the reason why i understood so much more was because I came to sacrament meeting with a specific focus. I wanted to find out if my prayer would be answered.
So, like I said, this was a very cool experience for me. More than just an answer to prayer, it demonstrated to me the importance and power that comes in attending meetings with a specific goal in mind. When we attend our meetings seeking to find, there is more to be learned. It's a principle that I have heard described many times before, but had never experienced in such an unmistakable way.
Well, time is up. I love you all!
Adios till next week!
Your son and brother,
Elder Ostler