February 3, 2014 Email

Well Hello there from Los Angeles!

I had no idea until this past week that Seattle was actually having a good football year!  It was super fun to hear about them crushing the Broncos.  Not knowing anything about it till this week made me realize how much of a bubble I'm in here in what must be the closest thing to Mexico inside the states.  That was pretty fun to be reminded of that.  I'm in Mexico...well sorta something kinda like that.

My first week here in Boyle Heights (about 2 months ago) I and Elder N were walking by an apartment complex when a someone yelled out, "Hello Hermanos!"  I turned to see who it was and saw an older gentleman sitting there in a lawn chair with the biggest smile on his face.  We were running late for an appointment so there wasn't time to stop and talk for very long.   In our short conversation, (less than 30 seconds) he told us that he is always outside sitting there in his lawn chair and that we should stop by to visit with him sometime.  Every time we have walked by that apartment complex since that day, I have looked for that man.  I finally saw him again this past week but sadly we were once again in a hurry.  We weren't able to visit with him right at that moment.  In our short chat, we told him how happy we were to see him again and explained how we have looked for him ever since that day two months ago when we first met.  This time he was willing to tell us which apartment was his.  He even wanted to set up an appointment.  He told us that he would love to have the opportunity to learn from us because he recognizes that he needs to understand the word of God better in his life.  Woot Woot!  Our first visit with him was tons of fun!  When we invited him to get baptized he answered, "Absolutely Hermano!  You just tell me when I'm ready to get baptized and then we will go to the church and baptize me!  I just want you guys to help me get ready for it first.  I know I have to do my part, but I want you to help." So that was lots of fun.  


We are visiting with this other guy we met back on New Years day.  We came across him when he and his family were having a party.  They were all standing around this motorcycle and while we were walking by I asked them if Santa Clause had brought it to them for Christmas. It started a fun conversation in which they asked me if I wanted to buy it so I could get around to my appointments faster than just walking.  So that was a fun contact.  If it wasn't for the fact that they had been drinking, I would have tried to have a quick lesson with them right there on the front lawn.  When I asked if we could come back later, they accepted and the father even told me that he thought it would be best that way so that they could really focus in on the word of God.  He even went as far as to tell me that beer is the drink of the devil.  And then we had a funny experience when he started apologizing to us and confessing his sin of drinking and promising us he would be sober when we came by again.

He has been true to his word.  He hasn't touched a drop of alcohol since the day we first met him.  It's amazing to me how deep down, those whom are truly humble and ready to act on the gospel already know what things they need to change in their lives and begin making those changes even before they are invited to do so by the missionaries.  It reminds me that the spirit or the Lord is truly the best teacher.

He turned out to be the only interested one in his family.  He is a very smart man.  And I love teaching him!  He is awesome!  Every visit is a blast!  He is just an open book.  He tells us EVERYTHING that is going on in his life.... especially concerning his health problems.    It has been hard for him to come to church because of his Health.  He is also struggling with this eye disease that he has to take lots of medication for until he finally gets a surgery that is meant to help him at the end of this month.  The medication takes a pretty heavy toll on his body.  He has no shame in telling us that one of the side effects of all his medication is lots of gas and frequent trips to the bathroom. He explained to us a couple weeks ago how horrible he would feel going to the house of God with tons of gas because he would either have to stink out the whole congregation or constantly interrupt the spirit of the meeting by climbing over everyone every 5-10 min or so in order to relieve himself in the bathroom.  (This by the way isn't an exaggeration...he actually excuses himself to the bathroom for about a minute every 7ish minutes or so during our visits).  Recently he started taking some other medication which he received from the doctor that helps a little bit with the bowel problems and as things have been improving, we promised him we would save a special seat just for him in the back of the chapel where he would be able to enter and leave as he pleases without interrupting anyone.  He came!  And he loved it!  He is awesome and he can't wait to get baptized.  He is currently working towards the 23rd.

If I had more time I would explain some more of the fun stories and experiences we have had with this man.

But those will have to wait till next week.

Hasta Luego!

Elder Ostler